Learn how to make a delicious and nutritious almond butter latte! This creamy, dairy-free coffee drink is packed with healthy fats, protein, and antioxidants to give you a satisfying and energizing start to your day.
Whether you have leftover almond butter from making your own homemade almond butter, or you want to find a new way to use that jar that's been sitting in your pantry, this latte is a fantastic option. The almond butter adds a rich, nutty depth of flavor and a pleasing, smooth texture that makes this latte truly indulgent and luxurious.
Keep reading to learn all about the ingredients, equipment, and step-by-step methods for crafting this heavenly latte at home. We'll also provide tips for customizing the latte to suit your personal taste and dietary needs. Let's get started!
Why Make an Almond Butter Latte?
Before we dive into the how-to, let's look at some of the main reasons you should add this latte to your morning routine:
- It's dairy-free but still creamy and indulgent. The almond butter mimics the texture of milk or cream to make this latte rich, smooth, and frothy without any dairy. Perfect if you follow a vegan or dairy-free diet.
- Nutritious ingredients. Almond butter provides healthy fats, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Pair it with unsweetened almond milk and you've got a nutritious latte full of good-for-you nutrition to start your day.
- Customizable flavors. Change up the spices like cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, or pumpkin pie spice to make this latte your own. Sweeten to taste with your choice of maple syrup, honey, dates, or sweetener.
- Requires minimal equipment. All you need is a blender, no expensive espresso machine is required!
Let's look at how to put together this simple but amazing latte.
Ingredients for Almond Butter Latte
The ingredients for this latte are flexible, but here is an overview of what you'll need:
- Almond butter - Use 1-2 tablespoons of creamy, smooth almond butter. Homemade or store-bought both work well.
- Plant-based milk - Unsweetened almond milk is traditional, but any plant milk like oat, soy, coconut, etc. will work. Go for about 1 cup.
- Brewed coffee - Make a strong cup of hot coffee. About 1/2 - 1 cup, depending on taste.
- Sweetener - Optional, but 1 teaspoon of honey or maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness.
- Spices - Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, etc. add warmth and flavor.
- Ice - Add 3-5 ice cubes after blending for a chilled latte.
That's all you need for the basic recipe. Now let's look at any special equipment that makes this latte extra smooth and frothy.
Special Equipment for Almond Butter Lattes
No fancy espresso machines are required for this easy almond butter latte! But there are a few items that can help enhance the process:
- High-powered blender - Blenders like Vitamix or Ninja cream the almond butter into the milk. A regular blender will work too.
- Milk frother - Whip up super frothy foam to top your latte. Not required but makes it extra luxurious.
- Fine mesh strainer - Remove any almond butter chunks for the smoothest texture.
- Nut milk bag - To make your own homemade almond milk, extra creamy and pulp-free for this latte.
Again, don't worry if you don't have any special equipment. A regular blender and spoon will still make a great almond butter latte. Now let's get to the fun part - putting it all together!
How to Make Almond Butter Latte
Ready to make this incredible latte? Here is a step-by-step guide:
Step 1: Brew Strong Coffee
Use your preferred method to brew a strong, hot cup of coffee. For best results, go for a darker roast coffee which will stand up to the almond butter flavor. About 1/2 - 1 cup of coffee is needed for one latte.
Step 2: Add Almond Butter to Blender
Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of smooth, creamy almond butter into your blender cup. Homemade or store-bought both work well.
Step 3: Add Plant-Based Milk and Sweetener
Pour approximately 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk or plant-based milk of choice into the blender. For a touch of sweetness, add 1 teaspoon of maple syrup, honey, or other liquid sweetener.
Step 4: Blend Until Smooth
Put the lid securely on your blender and blend until the almond butter and milk are fully combined and smooth. At least 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Step 5: Add Hot Coffee and Blend Again
With the blender still running, carefully remove the lid center cap and slowly pour in your freshly brewed hot coffee. Blend again until the latte is frothy, at least another 30 seconds.
Step 6: Add Ice and Toppings (Optional)
If you want an iced almond butter latte, add 3-5 ice cubes to your glass and pour the blended latte over top. For a hot latte, simply pour it into your mug as is. Top with extras like cinnamon or cacao powder if desired.
Step 7: Enjoy Immediately!
Drink and enjoy your homemade almond butter latte right away while it's perfectly hot and frothy, or nicely chilled if making it iced. The nutty, creamy flavors are absolutely worth savoring.
And that's it! With just a few ingredients and easy steps, you can be enjoying this nourishing and delicious almond butter latte anytime.
Customize Your Almond Butter Latte
One of the great things about this recipe is how versatile it is. Don't be afraid to make it your own with these simple customizations:
- Change the plant milk - Try different unsweetened kinds of milk like oat, soy, coconut, or cashew instead of almond milk.
- Flavor with spices - Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, nutmeg, or vanilla adds warmth.
- Sweeten to taste - Use maple syrup, honey, dates, or your choice of liquid sweetener and amount.
- Make it icy - Blend with ice for a frosty iced almond butter latte.
- Skip the coffee - For non-caffeinated, use chicory root tea for the base instead.
- Thicken it up - Add a scoop of collagen peptides or protein powder for extra richness.
- Top it off - Garnish with extras like cacao nibs, nutmeg, sea salt or cacao powder.
- Go chocolate - Use cacao powder instead of coffee for a mocha almond butter latte.
Let your preferences and cravings guide you - this latte is your canvas to design however you desire!
Tips for the Best Almond Butter Latte
To help you make the perfect almond butter latte every time, keep these tips in mind:
- Use very smooth almond butter - any chunks can leave texture issues.
- Tightly secure the blender lid - before blending hot liquids.
- Brew coffee extra strong - so the flavor comes through.
- Add hot coffee slowly through the lid opening while the blender runs.
- Heat almond milk - first for a hot latte at a warmer temperature.
- Rinse the blender immediately - after use for easier cleanup.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days - but best enjoyed fresh.
- Adjust sweetener - to account for ice dilution in the iced version.
With these tips, you'll be an almond butter latte pro in no time!
Benefits of Almond Butter Latte
Not only is this latte creamy and delicious, it also packs some nice nutritional perks. Here are some of the benefits you can expect to gain:
- Healthy fats - from the almond butter to keep you satisfied.
- Fiber - to support digestive and heart health.
- Protein - to stabilize blood sugar and provide lasting energy.
- Antioxidants - like vitamin E to fight inflammation and free radicals.
- Bone-strengthening calcium and magnesium - from the almonds.
- A dairy-free, plant-based beverage - that is gentler on the stomach.
Drinking this in the morning provides a wholesome and nourishing start to your day! It also happens to be downright tasty.
What can I use instead of almond butter?
Peanut, cashew, sunflower seed butter, or any other nut or seed butter will also work well.
Can I use a regular blender?
Yes, a regular blender will work just fine. The almond butter helps create a creamy latte even without an expensive, high-speed blender.
What if I don't have almond milk?
Substitute any unsweetened dairy-free milk like oat, soy, coconut, hemp, etc.
Is it okay to use salted almond butter?
The small amount of salt likely won't be noticeable, so salted almond butter can be used.
Can I make hot chocolate with this method?
Absolutely! Use cacao or cocoa powder instead of coffee for an indulgent almond butter hot chocolate.
How long does it keep in the fridge?
About 2 days, but best when fresh as the textures change over time.
Can I use instant coffee or espresso?
Yes, instant coffee granules or espresso shots both work well. Adjust the amount to taste.
What about sugar-free sweeteners?
You can use your preferred granulated sugar substitute or sugar-free syrup instead.
This almond butter latte is your new favorite way to create a satisfying, nutritious morning beverage to start your day on the right foot. With its velvety texture, nutty almond flavor, and energizing coffee base, it provides lasting energy and delicious comfort that will have you looking forward to each new morning.
The easy blender method means no barista skills are required - just a few simple ingredients and steps. Feel free to customize to your taste with different milks, sweeteners, and flavors too. Sip, enjoy, and have a fantastic day ahead!
Almond Butter Latte
- 1-2 Tbsp smooth almond butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 1/2 - 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Spices like cinnamon or vanilla (optional)
- Brew a cup of hot coffee.
- Add almond butter to blender.
- Pour in milk and sweetener. Blend until smooth.
- With blender running, slowly add hot coffee.
- Blend until frothy.
- Pour into mug, add ice if desired, and enjoy!
- Use high-powered blender for smoothest texture.
- Secure blender lid tightly before blending hot liquids.
- Add spices like cinnamon or vanilla to customize flavor.
- Can use peanut, cashew, or other nut/seed butter.
- For iced latte, add ice to cup before pouring blended latte.
- Keeps 2 days refrigerated.