Craving a rich, velvety strawberry milkshake but don't want to head out to the diner? With just five simple ingredients and a blender, you can easily recreate that classic summertime treat right at home. This easy milkshake recipe results in a perfectly sweet, fruity shake with just the right creamy texture.
We'll cover tips on choosing the best ingredients, like ripe, juicy berries and creamy vanilla ice cream. Blending up the base is a cinch. For extra decadence, try adding layers of whipped cream or swirled chocolate sauce. Garnish with sliced strawberries before serving for a fancy touch!
Whether enjoying with the whole family or treating yourself to a solo snack, this simple shake delivers old-fashioned flavor. Keep reading for how to blend up shake shop-worthy strawberry milkshakes in just minutes flat. Grab those berries and get ready to indulge!
What You'll Need
To make the perfect strawberry milkshake at home, you'll need just a handful of simple ingredients:
- Strawberries - 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries are ideal. Frozen berries work just as well as fresh! Make sure to thaw them and drain any excess liquid first.
- Vanilla ice cream - You'll need around 2-3 cups. Go for a creamy, rich vanilla flavor. Try to avoid low-fat or light ice creams, as they won't blend up into as thick and indulgent of a shake.
- Milk - Around 1 cup of milk will give you the ideal creaminess and texture. Go for whole milk or 2% milk. The skim is too thin and watery.
- Sugar (optional) - 1-2 tablespoons of granulated white sugar will sweeten things up. Taste as you blend and add to your preferences.
- Vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract will boost the vanilla notes. Don't skip this!
In terms of equipment, you'll need:
- A blender - A regular countertop blender works perfectly. Make sure the blender container is big enough to blend 2-3 cups comfortably.
- A fine mesh strainer - To strain out strawberry seeds and pulp for the smoothest shake possible.
- Tall glasses - Pretty glasses make the shake feel extra special! Mason jars also work nicely.
Prep the Strawberries
Prepping the strawberries properly is a key step, so don't rush through this!
First, wash the strawberries and trim off the green tops. Slice any large berries in half. This ensures they'll blend up easier.
Next, transfer the berries to your strainer or colander. Gently rinse to remove any lingering dirt. Then let the rinsed berries drain for 5-10 minutes, so they aren't soggy going into the blender.
Finally, slice the drained berries into a few chunks. This helps them blend smoothly.
If your berries were frozen, make sure to thaw and drain off any excess liquid before prep. No one likes a watery milkshake!
Blend Up the Base
Now for the fun part - blending it all up into shake perfection!
- First, add your sliced strawberries and milk to the blender. Use about 1 1/2 cups of berries and 1 cup of milk.
- Next, scoop in about 2-3 cups of vanilla ice cream. Go for plentiful, generous scoops for a properly thick milkshake.
- Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract next for extra flavor.
- Finally, blend on high speed until thick, creamy, and completely smooth, at least 30 seconds. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed.
- Taste and add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar if desired for more sweetness. The strawberries and ice cream often provide enough on their own. Blend again briefly to mix through.
Strain Out the Seeds
Here's a pro tip for making your shake extra silky: strain out the strawberry seeds after blending!
Place your fine mesh strainer over a large container or pitcher. Carefully pour the blended mixture through to remove the seeds and pulp.
Use a rubber spatula to gently press the mixture through for maximum smoothness. Discard anything left behind in the strainer.
This straining step is optional but takes the texture to the next level if you have the time!
Now simply pour your shake masterpiece into your prettiest glasses to serve and enjoy!
For the freshest, creamiest sip, drink your shake right away. The texture will start to suffer if it sits too long and melts.
Add an extra strawberry or wafer cookie on the rim for a fancy touch!
Some other fun ways to serve your shake:
- Blend with extra ice for a thicker, frostier texture. More like a soft serve!
- Layer with whipped cream on top for an ice cream sundae vibe.
- Swirl in chocolate or caramel sauce before serving.
- Garnish with crushed cookies, sprinkles, chocolate shavings, or toasted coconut.
Now you know how to easily whip up the perfect strawberry milkshake whenever that craving strikes! It's sure to become a new family favorite.
What kind of milk works best?
The best milk for milkshakes is whole milk or 2% milk. They provide the ideal creamy, rich texture. Skim and non-fat milk are too thin and watery for milkshakes. For an extra decadent shake, try half & half or heavy cream.
Can I use frozen strawberries?
Absolutely! Frozen berries work just as well as fresh. Just make sure to thaw and drain them first so they don't water down the shake.
What if I don't have vanilla ice cream?
Feel free to experiment with other ice cream flavors. Chocolate, strawberry, or cookies and cream ice creams would all be delicious. Just stick to a creamy, rich vanilla base for that classic flavor.
How long does the shake stay fresh?
For maximum freshness and texture, drink your milkshakes within 30 minutes of blending. The ice cream will start to melt and make it thin, so enjoy it right away!
Can I make it allergy-friendly?
Yes! For a dairy-free shake, use coconut or almond milk and dairy-free vanilla ice cream. For vegan shakes, use all plant-based milk and ice creams. Enjoy your shakes, no matter your dietary needs!
After blending up this easy homemade strawberry milkshake recipe, we bet you'll never have to visit the shake shop again! With such few simple ingredients needed, you can enjoy fresh, creamy shakes anytime. Experiment with additional mix-ins like chocolate swirls or layered whipped cream to make each shake unique.
Sip this pink beauty outdoors in the sunshine for instant nostalgia. Any way you serve it up, this shake delivers serious old-fashioned flavor and creaminess.